Hot summer days are on the way, believe it or not. As the mercury rises, proper hydration becomes an added concern for horse owners. And electrolytes are an essential part of the equation.
What are electrolytes?
Electolytes are important components in the body chemistry of the horse. The most critical electrolytes include
- potassium chloride
Electrolytes contribute to healthy muscle movement, nerve conductivity, and overall body function.
Human athletes may require electrolyte replacement after heavy exertion and profuse sweating. That’s why plenty of equestrians pack fortified sports beverages for endurance rides, horse shows, and schooling days.
Horses need electrolytes just as much as we do.
Here are a few popular electrolyte products for equines:
- Delytes Horse Electrolytes - Peppermint Flavor
- Delytes Horse Electrolytes - Small Carrot Flavor
- Durvet vitamins and Electrolytes Concentrate
- Elete Citrilyte Electrolyte Bottle
- Farnam 81110 Apple Elite Electrolyte Pet Supplement
- Finish Line Horse Products Apple A Day
- Finish Line Horse Products Orange A Day
- Horse Health Electro Dex Equine Elecrolytes
- Horse Quenchers Apple Dehydration Prevention
- PowerSpring Equine Pure Form in Oral Syringe
Many of these products are flavored with apple, orange, or peppermint to make them more appealing to equines. A few are produced as horse treats. Some equine electrolyte products are packaged in oral syringes for dosing. And others may simply be added to a horse’s regular feed rations or poured into a horse’s water bucket.
However they are administered, electrolytes can be extremely helpful to active horses.
The Mane Point: A Haven for Horse Lovers is participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge again this year. Stop on back, so you don’t miss a single post!
Created by this user
Feel free to follow on GooglePlus and Twitter. You are also invited to join this writer's fan page, as well as the Chicago Etiquette Examiner, Madison Holidays Examiner, Equestrian Examiner and Madison Equestrian Examiner on Facebook.