Stars and Stripes, Snips and Stripes
(posted for the A to Z Challenge)
S is for Stars and Stripes, Snips and Stripes.
Can you identify facial markings on horses?
Take a look. See how many you can correctly name. Then scroll down to check your answers.
Terminology for equine facial markings may vary somewhat, particularly in different breed groupings. Still, generally accepted descriptions are used fairly universally.
Adapted from Horse Facial Markings
By Sara Sander
Public domain photo
3. stripe & snip
4. irregular blaze
5. interrupted stripe
6. bald face
8. faint marking (varies)
9. faint star
11. star and strip
12. irregular star
13. ring (varies)
14. lip marking
- 10 Questions to Ask Before Donating a Horse for Hippotherapy
- 6 Ways to Mark Horses for Positive ID and Theft Prevention
- Can Horses Sunburn While Outdoors?
- Clowning with Class
- Idioms Unpacked: Get Off Your High Horse
- Shooting Horses - Tips for Equine Photography