Free Informational Resources on Equine Herpes Virus Outbreak
Horse lovers have grown concerned about the recent and ongoing cases of EHV-1, Equine Herpes Virus. This extremely contagious disease, which can prove fatal to horses, seems to be erupting in multiple locations.
Multiple equestrian events have been canceled or postponed, as planners prove particularly cautious about EHV-1. Following are a couple of examples:
- National Cutting Horse Association cancels shows over EHV-1 outbreak
- Utah's Laurel Brown Racetrack postpones May 21st QH races for EHV-1 scare
Is it possible to improve your horse’s chances of avoiding infection with Equine Herpes Virus? These practical pointers can help:
Here are several additional links to free online educational and informational resources on EHV-1. CTRL-click on each title link to open that article in a new internet window.
- AAEP issues warning on EHV-1 - Equine Herpes Virus outbreak .
- AAEP About the Outbreak and Additional Resources .
- AAEP List of State Vets .
- AAEP Fact Sheet .
- USDA Brochure on the Disease .
- Bio-security Tips .
Four Ponies photo by Vertigogen
Creative Commons Licensing