Wednesday

Y Is for . . . Yesterday’s Wonder

Posted for a variety of prompts:

ABC Wednesday (“Y is for . . . “)

Easy Street Prompts (“bad days”)

Heads or Tails (“Three Things”)

I Want Wednesday (“What do you want to do?”

Meme Express

Simply Snickers (“sleep,” “sorry” and “sweet”)

Three Word Wednesday (“deception,” “panic” and “scheme”)

Word-Filled Wednesday (“rest”)

Photo/s posted in response to these prompts:

Camera Critters (photo/s)

Scenic Sunday (photo/s)

Wordless Wednesday (any day – photo/s)


Y Is for . . . Yesterday’s Wonder


As I visit the barn daily to care for my sweet senior mare, I find myself asking key questions.


This beloved horse has borne three beautiful babies, even after teaching our whole family to ride. Her faithful spirit has never wavered, through injury, illness and aging.


Sleep can be sweet for those who enjoy it, but often those left behind may be sorry. In the grand scheme of things, a deception of doubt may tempt us to panic, particularly as we ponder the final place of rest. Do we truly trust?


How is it possible to let go of one we love so much? How long will we have left together?


Photos c2008 by Nickers and Ink


Paging the Prime Veterinarian –

Three Questions in Rhyme on a Horse Past Her Prime


Three things I have wondered and not understood –

A triad of questions, I’d ask, if I could.


First off, I’d inquire for equines I love:

Had God built a stable for them, up above?

I’ve heard that in Heaven the horses can fly.

What happens to animals after they die?


How long must a dearly loved mare remain sore,

Reluctantly leaving the sheltered stall door?

What days, months or years will she hover afield,

Once alpha, now weaker, to others to yield?


And how will we know when her time is at hand?

How can we be sure we won’t misunderstand?

Humanity questions, and hearts break apart,

Considering issues no doctor can chart.


She’ll gallop again in the clouds, I am sure,

With flying lead changes and energy pure.

One day, I will join her to leap without end,

And frolic on high with my great golden friend.


Three things I have wondered and not understood –

A triad of questions, I’d ask, if I could.

Thank God the Creator is faithful and good.

May He intervene, where I never could.



Love poetry? Check out Simply Snickers, a brand-new weekly poetry prompt. Try your hand with weekly prompts! Or, look into The Meme Express for daily blogging prompts.


Click here to visit Linda Ann Nickerson’s poetry and humor blog, Nickers and Ink.


Throughout 2009, please join us at The Heart of a Ready Writer, a Bible reading and devotional blog, as we read through the entire Bible in chronological order.


Click here to subscribe to an RSS feed for this writer's helpful Helium content. If you wish, click here for a free subscription to this author's online AC content, so you won't miss a single post!


Add to Technorati Favorites

7 comments:

  1. I found this very moving. Saying goodbye is a difficult thing, and the responsibility to a loved animal to optimize its life adds concern.

    A deeply felt poem, well-wrought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A horse can be such a friend....and such thought provoking poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this one! it was very thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete