Sunday

Remember Your First Ride Together?

Posted for a variety of prompts:
Camera Critters (#23 – photo/s)
Photo Scavenger Hunt (“wild”)
Saturday Social (“When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?”)
Snackie Sunday (“If you were one of the Seven Dwarfs, which one would you be?”)
That’s My Answer (“What is something you never thought you’d do . . . but you did?”)
Wordless Wednesday (photo/s)



Remember Your First Ride Together?

Photo c2008 by Nickers and Ink
(posted for Wordless Wednesday
)


Having just enjoyed my fourth (Count 'em!) ride on my young colt, I cannot help but smile. At the risk of sounding trite, I have to say that it seems like yesterday I was foal-watching in the middle of the night with our mare. Then he arrived.

I never thought the day would come when I would actually sit in the saddle, proudly piloting my youngster around a riding arena. But it did.

Now this charming chestnut boy is three, and he is fabulous. Better still, he adores me. (Trust me on that one.) Ever since he hit the ground, he has followed me around the farm, generally eager to please. It’s as if he always wanted to grow up to be a super saddle horse.

To be honest, we were not sure what to expect from a half-Arabian, half-Warmblood colt. This little sporthorse is actually 75% hot-blooded, and he carries the Puritano Westfalen line on his dam's side. Still, he is good-natured and fairly level-headed . . . most of the time.

Oddly, I didn’t start riding until I was an adult. As a child, I did not have aspirations of equestrian abilities. When I was younger, I wanted to grow up to be a novelist. (Of course, a junior high social studies teacher urged me to pursue a law practice, because I enjoyed debating exercises in class. Imagine that.)

If I were one of the Seven Dwarfs, I guess I would be Happy right now, although some seasonal allergies may confuse the issue, making me seem more like Sneezy. And those decongestants can make me seem to channel Dopey at moments. A few more sleepless nights with clogged sinuses, and Grumpy may raise his angry head around here too.

Technically, the plural form is dwarves, but who am I to argue with Disney?

Back to horses: tell us your stories:

Have you ever ridden a young horse for the first time?
Did you have a wild ride or a quiet one?
Are you still riding this horse?


Love poetry? Check out Simply Snickers, a brand-new weekly poetry prompt. Try your hand with weekly prompts! Or, look into The Meme Express for daily blogging prompts.

Click here to visit Linda Ann Nickerson’s poetry and humor blog, Nickers and Ink.

Click here to subscribe to an RSS feed for this writer's helpful Helium content. If you wish, click here for a free subscription to this author's online AC content, so you won't miss a single post!

Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. I have ridden a bunch of horses for their first rides. They were all very good. It was all the "broke" horses that bucked me off. :) I now have my rough stock rider husband ride all my horses when I break them out. I do all the ground work and lunging and saddling, and then he rides them for about two weeks. Then I get on. I am older than I used to be and I don't like to hit the ground.

    But it does feel great when you get on your horse and you think, "I did this. We did this together. Look how far we came." Then just think that in about one month you will be riding around like champs.

    Congrats on your first ride!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture so and sent it to my girlfriend another avid hiorse lover sandy

    ReplyDelete